‘Little River of Fire’
The Buctouche MicMac Band is also known as Tjipogtotjg which means Little River of Fire. It was established November 1, 1810. (Source: http://www.cbu.ca/mrc/nbcouncils) . In 1958, a family moved back onto the Reserve long after the Reserve was abandoned in 1924. It wasn’t until 1981 that a decision was reached by the majority of existing members to take a vote to sign in new members.
This area was once known as Sigenigtog, one of the 7 Traditional hunting districts of the MicMac Tribe’s traditional lands. The elders of the tjipogtotjg say that this band’s particular fishing, trapping and hunting territories encompassed the western third of Prince Edward Island, followed the coast of New Brunswick from Miramichi Bay along the Northumberland Strait, southeast between Nova Scotia on the Bay of Fundy to the border of Maine; during winter months, this territory also stretched inland to Fredericton, Grand Lake, Moncton and Miramichi. (Source: Community Development Master Plan, Douglas J. Cardinal Architect LTD)
About Buctouche MicMac Band
Tjipogtotjg is composed of 62.3 hectares and is located 3.2 km southwest of the Town of Bouctouche, New Brunswick.
As of February 2015, the total population was 117, with 75 living on-reserve, and 42 living off-reserve. The updated Band list of December 30, 1983 has the on-reserve population at 28.
The Buctouche MicMac Band follows their Custom Election Codes and the term of office is 5 years, compared to 2 years under the Indian Act election codes.
The Chief of the Reserve is Ann Mary Steele and she has been in office for almost 2 terms since February 28, 2006, with the next election taking place on February 28, 2016.
The Band Councillors are: Brenton Michael LeBlanc and Vaughn James Simon and they have also been in office since February 28, 2006 for almost 2 terms.